Types of Internship with reference to Payments/ Remuneration
The internship trainings can be on virtual (on line), paid or unpaid. All three types of internships are available from CMAI resources. Some details about these are given hereunder.
Common Points for all type of Internships
- Internship is mandatory by Colleges/Universities and also as per directories of AICTE.
- Internships provide students on hand and real-life job training and option to explore full-time jobs. Students also receive credits for internships.
- Internship is like a training program or a lab experience rather than actual employment.
- For companies which are busy in day to day operations, at times the interns create some problem, as they have to be allotted work( which they might not know) and they have to be given free training by someone, which suffers his/her regular job.
- The interns must ensure that they do not disturb and create issues/problems in day to day routine of companies.
- Generally the complaint against interns is their rude and untoward behaviors and showmanship of an intolerable level. So interns are advised to be cautious of this behavior.
- Companies use internship programs to search for new talent and get temporary help without committing to permanent new hires. The companies hardly get any immediate advantage from the activities of the intern and on the other hand its operations are actually suffered.
- The unpaid/paid/on line internship varies from two weeks to several months. The period varies depending upon the requirement of college, students and industry. The bare minimum has to be as per requirement of the College.
- Internships, whether paid or unpaid or on line, also give students to add additional line in their CVs.
- Student should weigh carefully all the factors relating to industry, location, choice before accepting internship whether paid or unpaid, online.
- Students during internship usually look forward for industry insights, useful industry contacts, learning new things with regard to industry, corporate etiquettes, social values etc.
- The intern does not displace regular employees but works under close supervision of existing staff.
- Internship also provides you opportunity to prove yourself in the company and then explore possibilities for a future job at the company.
- One of most sought after working any company where you are doing internship, is requesting to spend at least a day shadowing senior in the company.
- Internship dos not confer any right on students for extension of internship or placement or job within the company.
Internship without any remuneration or payments
- These are most common and beneficial for students. In this the industry/office/companies accepts students for internship but that does not involve any payment of scholarship/payment to students. Getting even an unpaid internship in a good reputed company is a valuable thing and most sought after. Many students realize that they might have to do unpaid internship, if they want to get a good job in a popular industry and also learn complexities of industrial world.
- Some companies do not pay remuneration but depending upon the performance of students, they on some occasions pay for some local expenses or stay specially for girl students, in the company PG ( if they have one)
- Students have to take a decision to accept or not the unpaid internship, depending upon the availability of internship as they want in desire field or not and sometimes the location of internship also matters. Sometimes doing an unpaid internship is a great way to try and break into an industry.
- The unpaid internships are often less structured and generally with flexible working hours and can even be on part time basis. That allows you to earn something elsewhere on part time basis.
- The unpaid internship allows students to request for withdraw or short close of internship period, if needed.
- Both parties understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the internship.
- Unpaid intern does not regularly perform the company’s routine work, and the business of company is not dependent upon that intern’s work.
Internship with remuneration or payments
- There are some companies who pay interns some scholarship or remuneration. The amount of remuneration varies upon company to company.
- There is also paid Apprentice scheme of the GOI, under which companies are required to have some apprentices and they get some remuneration.
- If remuneration is paid for internships, then on some occasions companies also lay down rules and regulations with regard to work, conduct and work related KRAs.
- Paid internships are difficult to be short closed i.e. the period or duration agreed is required to be followed in full.
- Technically, paid interns are temporary employees and treated virtually the same as regular employees and follows the same discipline and work ethics, cultures.
Virtual (On Line) Internship by CMAI/TEMA
Virtual internships are nowadays growing in popularity due to improving technology and the expansion of social media.
A virtual internship is a on line training & work experience program where the intern gains experience while working in a remote professional setting and is not physically present at the internship location.
Virtual interns remain in touch with their CMAI/TEMA online through different means including email, Skype, What’s app, instant messaging, phone conversations, webinars, project management tools, SMS (text) messaging, emails, websites etc. Virtual internships can be undertaken by both students and graduates.
When people think of a Virtual Internship, they have a perception that it’s easier and doesn’t involve much work and you don’t get hands on experience, etc. But, these all are myths.
Firstly, there is a lot of work that comes with virtual internships. The good part is although there are many assignments and deadlines to meet; you can complete the work in your own time. It isn’t like a regular internship where you have to work continuously during specific hours. You need to work on assignments on specified time lines; however you can work on them during a time that is convenient for you!
Benefits of Virtual Internship
The foremost benefit of an online internship is that all the resources you need are on your computer/laptop. This is quite convenient because most of the students carry their laptops around anyway and one can work from wherever there is an internet connection.
One important thing to note when looking into an online/virtual internship is your phone and email etiquette. Generally, contacting with your boss, co-workers, and potential clients will be via email and phone, therefore it is essential to note that you are being professional in your conversations. Candidates for virtual internships have a benefit when they are fluent in using new media.
Holding a virtual internship does have some necessities, but is a great opportunity for someone who can’t find time to hold a full-time internship but is willing to gain some experience in their field. This will also give an indication to future employers that you are familiar with being professional in your communication and have knowledge of the online world.
As you can see Virtual Internships can be a great opportunity for anyone!